Sponsor Me!

Currently, I'm publishing sporadically (as in, there has been a span of 10 months between the last post and the current post). I'd like to write and publish more. Unfortunately, I'm a super busy person, especially since I work a 9 to 5 job five days a week. If you want to help me free up more time, so I can write and publish more, please buy me a coffee or sponsor me through recurring Patreon payments (so you don't forget!).

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com


Become a Patron!


Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Rightness and Truthiness of Morality

I feel the truthiness of humanism, diversity and the wrongness of prejudice. Nonetheless, I also acknowledge and feel the truthiness of not having an intellectual foundation to support my intuition.

The guy who writes the Stories from the Intersection blog postulates that "Diversity drives innovation." This argument makes sense, especially from an evolutionary and a Survival of the Fittest/competition approach. With diversity, we need innovation to survive. And with more innovation, we have more ways to survive.

Even on a Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway approach, we need innovation to face the diverse fears that we face, and the more fears we face and transcend, the better we will take on future challenges and transcend.

Nonetheless. . .nonetheless. . ."nature" and "rational arguments like these feel cold and heartless. I would rather have an argument about diversity and innovation help us to experience life in new, better and more fulfilling ways. By sincerely connecting with other people, we grow and have more fulfilling experiences.

Still, there's a little more coldness about this psychological argument. It still revolves around the individual and what other people can do for me. This approach even allows for a utilitarian begging the question fallacy that could possibly lead to another mass hysterical Holocaust: someone demonizes a group of people, so a bunch of other people look to get rid of them.

I don't support that kind of thinking, but I can only think of one argument against it: "I better not do anything to said people because if I were them, I wouldn't want them to do it to me" but that can get flipped to "If the cow had a chance, they would eat you. . .so you better eat it!"

This question really does go through my brain a lot, and I have yet to find a satisfactory intellectual grounding for my truthiness.

I guess there's always the dignity argument -- you make yourself undignified by hurting others.

There's a lot to explore, that's for sure.

No comments:



Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com