Sponsor Me!

Currently, I'm publishing sporadically (as in, there has been a span of 10 months between the last post and the current post). I'd like to write and publish more. Unfortunately, I'm a super busy person, especially since I work a 9 to 5 job five days a week. If you want to help me free up more time, so I can write and publish more, please buy me a coffee or sponsor me through recurring Patreon payments (so you don't forget!).

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com


Become a Patron!


Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Marketing, Politics, Medication and ADHD

Some quickie stuff before possibly getting into a traditional long entry:

THE Dixie Chicks and marketing

The Duct Tape Marketing Guy points out the interesting marketing byproduct of the Dixie Chicks making their comeback after their political suicide. To me, the general principle reflects my decision to just stick with Blogger.

As an aside, though, I find the chick, making comments about the Chicks still facing the flack for their political suicide, humorous.

MY THOUGHTS ON THE RECENT RIGHT WING BACK LASH AGAINST THE NEW YORK TIMES FOR POSTING THE TERRORIST FINANCIAL TRANSACTION TRACKING

"Me: I just think the Right argument that breaking the story helps the terrorists.
"Me: Won't it make things harder for them to accomplish their goals of blowing things up in the States?
"Me: Maybe it will cut down on how many we catch, but it will also cut down on how many things they blow up.
"Me: Idiots. . .
"Me: Sometimes disclosing this type of shit actually helps.
[. . .]
"Me: It's like, let's make abortion illegal but not tell anyone, so we can arrest people who get abortions!
"Me: Yeah. . ."

PROPS TO ARLEN SPECTER FOR BEING A REPUBLICAN WITH A SPINE

NO MEDICATION: DAY 10

Today marks the day that I've taken the most of my Tyrosine powder supplement.

Some minor benefits:

1. Outlining this blog entry in my head before writing it.

2. Generally able to stay on task. It requires a little effort, but I can do it easier than usual.

3. A little more easy going with my shortcomings. More on this later.

4. Reduced anxious rumination.

5. Actually feel tired at a reasonable time.

Unfortunately, 2 and 3 may actually come somewhat out of educating myself more on ADHD and cognitive re-thinking of things. Other than above, though, I think I've done some good structuring of thought and have felt more of a "here feeling" than I usually do.

MY NEED FOR STRUCTURE

Do any of my loyal readers remember my talking about my need for structure probably about a year ago?

According to Edward Hallowell and John Ratey, in their book Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood, people with ADHD need that structure.

I guess if they don't have that structure, they'll kick into effect reactions, like anxiety, depression, dangerous behavior, fights, etc. etc. simply to kick the brain to attention. I'm guessing those types of things push norepinephrine into action, since it's a stress hormone. After all, even having a bad thing happening can be better than the disorganized chaos that occurs while in ADHD dysphoria.

To some people, what I just described may sound like OCD. The explanation probably can't get made simply, but I guess the major difference is that OCD kicks in because of the anxiety from the obsessive thoughts.

In the case of someone like me, however, who exhibits a form of ADHD with an anxious edge to it, my body kicks in the anxiety and the thoughts that come with it because it kicks in the neurotransmitters and hormones that help keep the physiological brain dysphoria away.

No comments:



Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com