Sponsor Me!

Currently, I'm publishing sporadically (as in, there has been a span of 10 months between the last post and the current post). I'd like to write and publish more. Unfortunately, I'm a super busy person, especially since I work a 9 to 5 job five days a week. If you want to help me free up more time, so I can write and publish more, please buy me a coffee or sponsor me through recurring Patreon payments (so you don't forget!).

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com


Become a Patron!


Thursday, April 12, 2007

Dramatic Irony on LOST

I've really gotten back into LOST again. This season, especially after the hiatus, the show really has taken the turn for the better. It also returns to keeping my attention like the first season without necessarily using the same literary techniques.

The use of dramatic irony does a lot to keep my attention. The LOST people have started doing an amazing job at revealing information about characters and some of The Others that the camp protagonists or other characters don't know about. They reveal the information in such a way that (A) they keep the integrity of the LOST "surprise" ending while also (B) revealing just enough information to sate the audience's appetite while also actually creating more mystery. GENIUS!!!!

In last night's episode, one character obviously did it to get the advantage over two other characters. Nonetheless, I've gotten to love the current strategy of revealing information not just because the mystery grows deeper, but also because we've gotten to the point where we don't know if we can trust the characters. We don't even know if we can trust the flashbacks of characters! How does the order of the flashbacks affect the truth of a situation? What information in a flashback attracts sympathy and what detracts the sympathy?

We, the audience, know that the drama and flashbacks manipulate us, but I, for one, don't mind the current manipulations. In fact, I like it. The narratives have become that much unreliable, but we know the truth of the relationships that depend on trust will eventually come out. The fun becomes who's thinking what when, and can I figure it out before the reveal. And this fun doesn't just happen in an individual episode, either, it now continues long-form, through the series. LOST has got me hooked again, and I don't think I'll have a problem going back to watch the show again, except for season 2. Blech!

To think, I'm speculating about what I think is happening! The Shock!

No comments:



Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com