Sponsor Me!

Currently, I'm publishing sporadically (as in, there has been a span of 10 months between the last post and the current post). I'd like to write and publish more. Unfortunately, I'm a super busy person, especially since I work a 9 to 5 job five days a week. If you want to help me free up more time, so I can write and publish more, please buy me a coffee or sponsor me through recurring Patreon payments (so you don't forget!).

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com


Become a Patron!


Thursday, September 14, 2006

Worker's Comp for the Soul

People can use their health insurance from work to see a therapist, but could they use workers comp to see the therapist for breakdowns from work?

I could have used it during my last days at Blue Green. It really culminated during the last day of my second to last weekend. The whole weekend, I had been kicking ass and taking names by making a lot of tours. In fact, I had the second best weekend of my career there.

The day started off well, even. I booked two tours without even trying, knocked them down without even having to work on the prospect. The two stereotypical Chicago married men just about said yes when before I even said anything.

So yeah. . .I was ROCKING!

Then another couple walked up to the stand. I had expected them to go down as easy as the two married before. At the end, though, when I asked for the deposit, the wife goes darned NUTS! And when I say NUTS, I mean NUTS!!!!!

I didn't even think it would turn out bad right away. She reacted with surprise, as many people do at that point. A lot of people don't expect the deposit, and a lot of the time, we lose people on the deposit. Usually pointing out, on the appointment form, that the deposit is "100% refundable," calms people down. They either go with giving me the deposit or politely move onto another excuse which moves onto another excuse and onto another, unless I convince them to go with the deposit, which usually doesn't happen after trying to answer two objections.

Instead, she says, "This is a scam," and she gets all ruffled. Things wouldn't have been all that bad if she just walked away or didn't do much else. Rather than act dignified, she grabs my pen, crosses out the appointment sheet then goes on a tirade.

"This is a scam! Everybody! This is a scam! I can't believe the track even lets you stay here, trying to take our $20s! This is a scam! Everyone, this is a scam!"

Then she walks away in a huff.

Suffice to say, I felt shaken. I didn't book any tours for the rest of the day, despite all the success that weekend. Just kept dwelling on the whole thing. . .knew that I didn't do anything wrong but still just felt really, really shaken by this lady, who had come so close to making the appointment, yelled at me with such force. I felt violated and attacked by this lady. She attacked my integrity.

The next weekend, my last weekend, I didn't book any tours. I don't think anyone else did, either, so I didn't feel so bad. Still, I wonder how much my getting shaken the week before affected my abilities. The turnout there sucked, but maybe if I didn't feel so shaken, I might've gotten at least one tour.

Not a big deal, really. After all, I've resigned and moved onto a job that will pay me more, on average. I'm in a much better situation than then.

I'll get over it, even though I do wish it didn't affect me so much. The event had affected me so much that I near obsessively thought about it throughout the week. "How could I have prevented the event? How could I have gotten her to take the tour? What did I do to come off as sleazy and as a scam artist?"

Reason tells me that I had nothing to do with it. The lady just had plenty of preconceptions that I couldn't control. That's all.

I think I'll just need some time to get over it. Maybe seeing a therapist could help get over the whole thing, even though time, itself, works as the best tool for healing. But again, maybe a therapist could help.

Could I make a Worker's Comp claim for having my heart broken? For having my soul crushed, wrung out then smushed even more by this women's foot. Is there Worker's Comp for the soul?

Well, at least that would make a good title for a book about these types of things: "Worker's Comp for the Soul." Would you read it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know I run into people all the time like that. The thing is they call me to help them and then they start giving me a hard time. Like it was me that made them sick or got them injured. Some people are just messed up. Dont let it bother you. There are people in the world that MUST be miserable all the time. They cant survive unless they are angry. The lady you mention seems like one of them... Anyways forget about it and just be happy that you are in a new line of work... jp

Anonymous said...

I think this lady was mentally ill. People like that can seem normal one second and go wonky the next. Any f*cking idiot knows you have to leave deposits for tours.

Dawn said...

Well, you probably wouldn't get Worker's Comp after being a Bluegreen for just a couple of months anyway. And I guess I'm a little skeptical of therapists--the poor man's solution is to find some good people to vent and talk to. For the record, I think the lady was insane (not clinically though, like that other poster says)--she shouldn't have treated you so badly.

The_Lex said...

Familiar with cognitive psychology? I guess a friend could help with that one, but I could see many dedicated friends getting annoyed with the work that goes into supporting someone trying to work through things via cognitive ways. Just ask my fiancee. =D

For the benefit of everyone else, what I wrote personal to Dawn while at work about Worker's Comp:

With a company that has purchased workers comp, no matter how long you've worked for them, if you get injured on the job, you're entitled to Worker's Comp. That's why people always make jokes about getting Worker's Comp for the stupidest little things or taking advantage of the system for it.

Also, as another Point of Information: Most states in the United States require businesses to purchase Workers Comp for their employees, if they can't self-insure themselves by the states' requirements.

Just take a look at your state's Division of Insurance Website to find out more about it.

After working at an insurance agency, I can see why it's required. It probably helps to cut down on A LOT of frivolous litigation. . .probably saving a lot more money in the long run than we think.



Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com