Sponsor Me!

Currently, I'm publishing sporadically (as in, there has been a span of 10 months between the last post and the current post). I'd like to write and publish more. Unfortunately, I'm a super busy person, especially since I work a 9 to 5 job five days a week. If you want to help me free up more time, so I can write and publish more, please buy me a coffee or sponsor me through recurring Patreon payments (so you don't forget!).

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com


Become a Patron!


Wednesday, March 13, 2019

SPECULATIVE FLASH POST: Did the Great Recession End the Post-War Period?

This episode of American Shadows starts by looking at Samuel Adams as a conspiracist. The episode pushed me into a deep dive into Euro-American history since the American Revolution and earlier to understand Parliament of England, the French Estates General & various other legislative bodies in France, and the Habsburg Monarchy/Holy Roman Empire/Central Europe to WWII. This is a bit of history I tend to focus on from different angles.

But this time, I've reached a hypothesis: I believe future historians will consider The Great Recession as the point in history in which the Postwar Period ended and a new era started. . .

  • Ukraine
  • Putin
  • Brexit
  • Greece
  • Arab Spring
  • Libya
  • Syria
  • Trump
  • Viktor Orbán in Hungary
  • The Rise of illiberalism again
Frankly, I feel kinda bad for Obama since he won the 2008 POTUS Election just as people started realizing how really bad things were and would be getting because of the Great Recession. So many firsts, including watching the fall of Euro-American stability after many years of rising pluralism.

(I also received a shock today when I heard The Moment discuss the Doctor Who episode "Turn Left" and demonstrate that the episode has renewed resonance today when back in the day, the episode might have felt over the top.)

The beginning of a future holds much promise and a lot of negative possibilities. I hope the human race survives long enough for it to become a historical period since we could destroy human civilization by just not addressing issues of climate change, let alone our relations with each other. Hopefully we just have to push through an initial dark time to reach a time of maturity, prosperity, and peace rather than continued despair. But we can only reach that better future if we work together to create good will and the desire to solve problems before we destroy civilization.

So how about it? Thoughts? Ideas? Innovations? Can we avoid destruction?


If you like what you see here and in the past and want to free me up for more, support my endeavors by Buying Me a Coffee!

No comments:



Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com