Sponsor Me!

Currently, I'm publishing sporadically (as in, there has been a span of 10 months between the last post and the current post). I'd like to write and publish more. Unfortunately, I'm a super busy person, especially since I work a 9 to 5 job five days a week. If you want to help me free up more time, so I can write and publish more, please buy me a coffee or sponsor me through recurring Patreon payments (so you don't forget!).

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com


Become a Patron!


Wednesday, March 27, 2019

FLASH POST: Equal Opportunity, Independent Majority Districts, and Inspiring Voters

The other day, I had a one-sided conversation with someone on Facebook about political gerrymandering and people in the United States not having motivation to vote. I had the following to say voting districts and motivating people to vote:

I started writing an essay awhile ago (that I never finished) that was to propose what if instead of the "competition" qualification, what if we used "Fair Opportunity". I'm not exactly sure how to execute that qualification, but it seems more fair to me than even the citizen's definition, considering how much voter & turnout suppression we have going on. Do the voters coming out even provide a good sample of eligible voters or are they just base activists that aren't facing voter suppression?
Or is it possible to make independent voters the majority of districts?
All of the above, but I think on a more simplistic level, I think our society, politicians, campaigns, etc do a horrible job inspiring & motivating people who don't face suppress & suppress the others.

As I once said somewhere else, bad actors don't want people voting because it means it's easier for them to stay in office.

In the meanwhile, we have the Far Left activists who feel spit on by the Establishment & feel that their vote doesn't matter because we keep getting bad actors in their eyes (a la Occupy Wall Street) whereas, in my opinion, we need more of these activists & organizers to get into actual politics, become candidates, etc because I think they can make positive contributions in sync with other activists & such.

It's definitely a compounding loop that needs to be broken. Those discouraged activists & disillusioned folks need to be encouraged. I've read about it, mostly in communities of color, and we need it all over the place.
If you like what you see here and in the past and want to free me up for more, support my endeavors by Buying Me a Coffee!

No comments:



Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com