Sponsor Me!

Currently, I'm publishing sporadically (as in, there has been a span of 10 months between the last post and the current post). I'd like to write and publish more. Unfortunately, I'm a super busy person, especially since I work a 9 to 5 job five days a week. If you want to help me free up more time, so I can write and publish more, please buy me a coffee or sponsor me through recurring Patreon payments (so you don't forget!).

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com


Become a Patron!


Sunday, February 10, 2019

FLASH POST: Chicago Mayoral Election, Final Elections on 2/26/2019: My Stand on Lori Lightfoot vs Amara Enyia

I needed a week or so to read up on Lori LIghtfoot's positions and platforms provided on her campaign page. Lightfoot had well thought out position papers that meticulously laid out plans that feel

  • Realistic
  • Thought out
  • Acknowledged that Lightfoot will need to fight legislators and bureaucrats to make her goals happen
I feel like Lightfoot has realistic plans that will likely happen.

I was able to read up on Amara Enyia's positions in less than a half hour. Enyia's positions feel
  • High minded
  • Idealistic
  • Glib
  • Search Engine Optimizable
  • Ready to grab the emotions of people with justifiable axes to grind
Problem with that marketable approach: I wonder about the chances of the Enyia platform's success once she gets into office. Does Enyia have thought out plans other than let's give the electorate a great image, and we'll figure out how to realize that image once we get into office.

In my studies into a few Historical Utopian Communities, I've seen the latter approach, and it doesn't fare well. With that in mind, unless I'm provided with
  • More detailed light on Enyia's platform
  • That platform includes realistic measures I can get behind
  • That Enyia's platform has a good chance of success
I plan to vote Lightfoot.

Other points:

This endorsement at the Sun Times for Lightfoot also does a great job highlighting the experience and actions that Lightfoot has taken to increase justice in this city and the world, both instrumentally in a realistic fashion and symbolically to get the attention of people. The main thing I find amazing: I don't remember knowing anything about Lightfoot before this election!

While, on the flipside, most of my exposure regarding Enyia has come from
  • Grassroots activist friends
  • A text conversation I've been having with a text bank campaigner for Enyia
  • News stories like this one about Enyia
    • Not being on top of her taxes
    • Not being on top of reporting campaign contributions
    • Even abandoning a pet project that she led at a non-profit at the point of about being ready to launch because she wanted to run for office
I don't attribute any corrupt or negative motivations on the part of Enyia. The lack of attention to detail or having someone working with her to pay attention to those details makes me wonder just how accountable Enyia is. . .and I don't mean unaccountable as untrustworthy. Rather as in, does Enyia have the personal infrastructure to stay on top of things. I don't care if Enyia has that infrastructure in her own capacity or if she has someone by her side to help with those details, but I don't see it.

Keep in mind, this is this candidate that could only enter the race after Kanye West paid her fines for not staying on top of reporting campaign contributions for a past campaign. Chicago already has plenty of problems from previous politicians' shortsightedness at meeting political goals and approval. Can we continue to mortgage the future inhabitants of Chicago. . .if there are future inhabitants of Chicago, at the rate we're going now.

From everything I've seen right now, Lori Lightfoot has a better plan for making Chicago a better place to live now, and to live in for the future.

UPDATE (2/10/2019 2:22 PM): If Enyia ends up in a run up against anyone other than Lightfoot, I'll vote Enyia.

If you like what you see here and in the past and want to free me up for more, support my endeavors by Buying Me a Coffee!

No comments:



Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com