Sponsor Me!

Currently, I'm publishing sporadically (as in, there has been a span of 10 months between the last post and the current post). I'd like to write and publish more. Unfortunately, I'm a super busy person, especially since I work a 9 to 5 job five days a week. If you want to help me free up more time, so I can write and publish more, please buy me a coffee or sponsor me through recurring Patreon payments (so you don't forget!).

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com


Become a Patron!


Wednesday, October 04, 2017

The Lexdate: Small Project Updates & Twittervism

It's Open Submission season as Uncanny Magazine: A Magazine of Science Fiction and Fantasy, so I'll be dialing back my thoughtful indepth blog entries for a little bit. It doesn't help that still have the Insurance Continuing Education classes that I told myself I'd complete over the summer to do (I did get my certificate to help people purchase health insurance in 2018 on the Federal Marketplace, so I'm making SOME progress).

That being said, I like the habit I've picked of posting an entry twice a week. Maybe I haven't done it on a regular schedule, but it's a good one to pick up at some point. I also haven't provided much of an update on my bachelors project or posted my political/social activist Tweets in awhile, so that's good material that doesn't require DEEP thought.

Regarding the project, I've written a little more than two pages in the novel, which feels good. It felt especially good the character POV intimidated me a bit since their experience and perspective doesn't line up with mine. We probably agree with overall sentiments and goals, but we come from such different places and have such different outer facing characteristics that I feared writing them wrong and felt that I would have to get more familiar with their interaction with the world I was building compared to how people in their perspective would interact with our world.

Criticism of a lot of science fiction and fantasy, in general, by my wife, MIchi Trota helped a lot. For awhile now, she has said that the SFF world neglects having food in their fiction, which neglects one of the most basic human experiences and sacrifices a great opportunity for world building. I ended up flipping that criticism into advice: when your stuck with a story or worldbuilding, figure out how food fits into your world and write about it.

Her essay, "I Don't See Color" and some discussion she had in an interview she did at Therapy Sessions helped me get into this character's perspective and how to introduce these outer features of hers.

Imagine how even more excited I got when I sat down to write and "learned" again that instead of just dramatic narrative, I actually used "found" documents to help present thoughts and perspectives of characters. It's lovely to find inspiration out in the world, especially when it's from something in your life everyday, and you almost feel like you've encountered the idea for the first time AGAIN.

For the academic essays, I've done a ton of reading. My social media posts probably do a better job expressing where my brain has gone with some of these ideas. I haven't much of this academia for almost a week now, but I know that I've got a bit more to read before I start understanding it, and even then, I'm going to have to think about it a lot, too.

The books I'm reading now somewhat intimidate me, though, because one of them provides a perspective that I might have found anathema in the past but has started provide some interesting points. Then another book I started that has gotten in the way of this first one has presented two perspectives on one topic that both have some merits about them both. These books that I've tended to read lately have led me to start synthesizing together some concepts and ideologies that seem opposite of each other on first look but, if possible, could combine to build a better perspective and situation. How very dialectical.

In the meantime, I think I have maintain the their separateness to use them for these academic essays. I plan to write a synthesis blog entry in the future, however, that hopefully help me think through some of these concepts. I plan to write it after I finish my series of entries about volunteering in electoral politics and the mental groundwork I've built to motivate me to do it and continue doing it.

If you like what you see here and in the past and want to free me up for more, support my endeavors by Buying Me a Coffee!

FOR NOW, THOUGH, TWEETIVISM!




































































































































































































If you like what you see here and in the past and want to free me up for more, support my endeavors by Buying Me a Coffee!

No comments:



Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com